Wednesday, October 30, 2013

"Last Minute Halloween Costume"




This is the first year (since having kids) that I had the motivation to make any Halloween Costumes.

My requirements were simple.

#1  Cheap
 
#2  Re-use what we have
 
#3  No sewing
 
#4 Minimal time
 
#5 Easy for 2 1/2 year to wear
 




I had already decided that the baby would be a Spider and Papa Bear would be her Web. What works with that theme?

A Fly.

We already had some Fairy Wings (see requirement # 2) and she had plenty of black clothes. She needed some new sneakers anyway, so I just bought some black ones that would go with her "Fly Costume."








I didn't want to spend oodles of time working on a Halloween Costume that my Contrary One would then refused to wear. It took about 1/2 hour to make her "Fruit Fly Hat" (see requirement #4).

I spent about 20 minutes fussing with the wings, trying to make them less Fairy and more Fly-like with some paint and gold glitter. But that wasn't really necessary.




I bought a $5 fleece hat from the Boys section in Target (see requirement #1).

I purchased a large Styrofoam ball, some red glitter and a tiny feather boa from Michael's (around $9 total...see requirement #1 and #3). 




How to Make a "Common House Fly Costume" or "Fruit Fly Costume"
 
 
1. Cut Styrofoam ball in half.
 
2. Paint red.
 
3. While the paint is still wet, cover with red glitter.
 
4. Let dry (this takes the longest amount of time and isn't included in the 1/2 hour time frame)
 
5. Cut mini-feather boa to fit the hat and glue with Tacky Glue.
 
6. Glue on eyes to hat.
 
 
So easy, right? It was easy enough that I didn't freak out when she kept taking off her hat. I hadn't spent that much time on her Halloween Costume, so I didn't care.
 
I think this makes a great last minute Halloween Costume, don't you?
 
Hopefully, I can get some better photos of my little Fly in action tomorrow!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...