Friday, October 25, 2013

Don't Forget to Order Your Elderberries!

It's that time of year again (at least for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere)... Flu and Cold Season has arrived.

In 2010, Medical News Today, reported how German scientists had found that extracts of "Sambucus nigra" had been shown to inhibit "the growth of influenza A and B viruses and bacteria associated with upper respiratory tract infections."

If taken before being infected with the flu virus, Elderberries can help prevent infection. If taken, AFTER being infected, Elderberries can help reduce the length and severity of your infection.

Once my Eldest reached the age of 1 (and could safely take honey), I began to give her 1 teaspoon of Elderberry Syrup daily during the months of October-March.

If we have been exposed to friends and family who are obviously sick, I amp up the dosage.

If I start feeling that familiar tickle in the back of my throat, I also amp up both her dosage and my dosage. I figure, she's not at the age of being able to recognize and articulate to me when she starts feeling those first signs of a Cold and if I've been exposed, she has too.

I make about two cups of Syrup at a time and add about 3 teaspoons of Elderberry Tincture to help prevent it from spoiling. I also make sure to refrigerate it.

I made the mistake of waiting too long to order my dried Elderberries, last year. Once they are sold out for the season they are GONE. So make sure to order ASAP.

Last year, we went through 7 lbs. I just used the last of the berries a few weeks ago.

I preferred to buy from Mountain Rose Herbs but have also been happy with Frontier's products.

Or better, yet, visit your local Herbalist. The shipping costs from Mountain Rose can be very high per pound, unless you order A LOT. So, it may be cheaper just to buy from your local Herbalist.

If you live in Baltimore, check out "Zensations by Jen" in Hampden. She's amazing!

I am sure you've seen commercial Elderberry Syrup at Health Food Stores (where it can easy cost $10 for 4 ounces). I haven't calculated out how much money you can save by making your own, but 1 lb can cost anywhere between $15- $26 with shipping costs. It takes about 1/2 lb of the berries to make a little less than 2 cups (16 ounces). Pretty hefty savings!

Here is my post on how to make Elderberry Syrup. It's crazy easy and fun to do with children (even Toddlers) and is so very tasty!

Here is another post on successfully using Elderberry Syrup.

Best Wishes on staying healthy this Flu Season!



***Obligatory reminder...please remember to check with your M.D. first before taking Elderberry. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...