Tuesday, June 19, 2012

The Beauty of Vizcaya



Vizcaya is on my Bucket List of places to visit. I first saw photos of this Miami Estate in a copy of Martha Stewart and fell totally in love.  It's a slice of Europe right here in the United States. (Literally a slice...much of the furniture, art and stone-work is from Europe).

In 1910, James Deering purchased the property and began building with help from Paul Chalfin (the designer), F. Burrall Hoffman Jr. (the architect) and Diego Suarez (the landscape architect).

Deering financed the building of Vizcaya with money made through the manufacture of farm equipment. (I found this fact to be particularly interesting because my Step-father only farms with Harvester International equipment....Deering's family's company).

Deering spent his Winters on the Estate from 1916 until his death in 1925. What some amazing winters they must have been for him and his guests. I am trying not to be envious.

The luxurious interiors are less interesting to me, as the ten acres of formal gardens and forty acres of native trees. These photos make me just want to roam aimlessly around the property for days. "Vizcaya" is open on nights during a Full Moon. I think it would be worth coordinating a trip to Miami during a Full Moon just to see Vizacaya in the moonlight, don't you think?

Since it's the Month of Beauty on my blog, I wanted to make sure you had heard of this astounding place.

 
Welcome to Vizcaya


 



 

Start gallery



Start gallery


*** All the photos except the last two are from Martha Stewart. The last two are from Vizcaya's website.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...