Monday, June 2, 2014

Growing Microgreens Outside



We have been eating TONS of Microgreen Salads, over the last few weeks. It's so easy and very kid-friendly.

I received a wonderful "Microgreen Kit" from my parents, two Christmases ago. I had dreams of growing lots of Microgreens indoors during the Winter. I had one successful crop and then several bombs. I gave up and my seeds just sat there for awhile.

At the end of April, I decided to see if the seeds were still good.

Guess what? They are and we've been enjoying Microgreen Salads, ever since.

Arugula, Sango Radishes, Red Cabbage, Turnips, Mustard Greens, Kale, Broccoli.

So, so good.

The Radish Greens grow incredibly fast. We can harvest them in week. The others have been harvested anywhere between 10-20 days.

Throw at least 2 inches of potting soil in a container or pot, sprinkle a few pinches of seeds, water (or mist), put in some Sun and you are good.

Simple enough for a 3-year-old.

Seriously, my 3-year-old LOVES sprinkling the seeds and watering them.

To harvest, I pull out the plants and use scissor to snip off the bottom part of the stem (and all the soil that is pulled up with the root).

I wash in a salad-spinner, add some high-end Olive Oil, a pinch of Sea Salt and Shaved Parmesan Cheese.

It's incredibly tasty.

From container to my mouth in less than 10 minutes.

You can't beat it.

Here is an article from WebMD discussing a recent study that showed that Microgreens have up to 40 times the nutritional value than mature plants.

How amazing is that?




If you are interested, my kit was purchased from the Growing Microgreens website (a Living Whole Foods Company). Their seeds are non-GMO. I will definitely be buying more seeds from them, when I am finished with the packs I have now.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...