Friday, April 4, 2014

The Simplicity Month. Egyptian Red Lentil Soup.




This has been one of my quick, simple go-to meals for several years now. It's crazy cheap and crazy good. 

It's a terrific soup to freeze, if you are pregnant and trying to stock-up your freezer.

My friend gave me the recipe at one of my Soup Swaps. Thanks, Molly for introducing it to me!


Ingredients

2 tablespoons of Butter or Coconut Oil
1 Onion
3 cloves of Garlic
1 cup of Carrots
1 tablespoon of Dried Thyme
1 teaspoon of Cumin
2 cups of Red Lentils
8 cups of Water, Veggie Stock or Chicken Stock
Sea Salt to taste



Directions


1. In a large pot, melt the Butter (or Coconut Oil). 

2. Add Onion and Carrots. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently (about 5 minutes). 

3. Add Cumin, Thyme and Garlic (about 1 minute).

4. Add Lentils (3 minutes). Keep stirring so they don't stick.

5. Add Water, Veggie Stock or Chicken Stock (or a combination of all 3).

6. Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.

7. Blend if desired.


***Sorry for the unappealing photo. My Sissy wanted this recipe today and I didn't have any photos of bowl of my "Egyptian Red Lentil Soup." I didn't want to defrost this container just so I could take a photo, so this will have to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...