Monday, July 14, 2014

Frontier Culture Museum.



My Sister and I traveled to Staunton, VA this past Weekend. We had a terrific (and sweaty) time at the Frontier Culture Museum.

I stopped taking photos half the way through because (as usual) I ran out of memory on my phone. So I didn't get any photos from the German Homestead, the 1700's American Indian Hamlet, the 1740's American Settlement,the 1820's American Farm or the 1850's American Farm.

One of the most amazing parts about the Museum is that all the houses (except the Igbo Homestead and the 1740's Settlement) are ORIGINAL and were moved to the site.

I liked the design of the Museum and how you started at the Igbo (West African) Homestead and then moved to the European Homesteads before moving to the Americas. Each Homestead was isolated enough from the others, which made you really felt transported back into time.

I enjoyed seeing the differences between the layout of each Garden. Although, most were growing the same crops, each one felt very different.

We went at the hottest part of the day, when it was in the 90's. It made you much more aware of the ways houses were designed to deal with staying cool in the Summer and warm in the Winter.

My girls are too little to really enjoy it now. But, I can't wait to take them when they are older.

You can find more information here.

If you are ever nearby, I definitely recommend checking it out.






























No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...