Sunday, October 30, 2011

Emergency Preparation: Water


Snow before Halloween? Yikes. I hope this doesn't mean we are in for a serious winter like the one two years ago. I adore our new place but we were warned that power outages are frequent in Old Town. Power outages and babies don't seem like a good mix to me. Add the fact that during our first week here, we experienced both an earthquake and a hurricane. So, emergency preparations are definitely on my mind. Once in awhile, on this blog, I will mention the simple, small steps we are taking to be more prepared the next time a natural disaster appears on our doorstep.

Today's post is about water. Experts remind us to have a gallon per family member for at least 7 days in preparation for an emergency. That means 21 gallons for my family. That is a lot of water. We haven't reached that goal yet but are taking baby steps each week. Total time spent per week = less than 5 minutes.

I'm addicted to "Simply Orange Juice" (stay with me here). When I'm finished with the plastic container, I rinse it out but instead of putting it in recycling, I fill it up with tap water and it goes in our storage closest. Wham bam, we are on our way to being more prepared. Easy enough for everyone, right? I'll let you know when we have reached our goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...