Monday, January 9, 2012

The Month of Courage: Mattie's Mom





Jeni Stepanek is the next person I wanted to profile this month. I met her two years ago when she gave me a copy of the book she had written about her son. It's hard to get through the book without weeping. I had skimmed some of Mattie's poetry and seen him on T.V.. I had read some articles about him, so I knew a little about his story when I began Messenger: The Legacy of Mattie J.T. Stepanek and Heartsongs. Even so, I was unprepared for the power of his story and the power of his mother's love. 

 I think every mother should have a copy of this book by her bedside. Whenever I start feeling overwhelmed or down, I need to re-read a few pages and be reminded of my blessings. This Mama has dealt with obstacles I can't even imagine and her perseverance and inner strength is a true inspiration.

Who am I am inspired by?
Jeni Stepanek (she also answers to the name "Mattie's Mom). Her bio can be found here.

What has she done that is so courageous?
She has the adult-onset of a genetic neuromuscular disease that requires her to use a wheel-chair and a ventilator. All four of her children - Katie, Stevie, Jamie, and Mattie - also had the disease. Her youngest child, Mattie, accomplished more and lived more deeply in his thirteen years than most of us do in eighty.

Where can I find out more information? Her book on Mattie's legacy can be found here. The foundation she began in his honor can be found here.  Please check them both out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...