Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Month of Courage: Pink and Say




This children's book is one of my all-time favorite books. It's beautifully illustrated and beautifully told by Patricia Polacco. It's the story of the friendship between two teen-age boys, one White and one Black - both Union soldiers. This month, I am writing about courage, so I knew I had to share this book with you - it has haunted me ever since I read it ten years ago.

Who demonstrated courage?
Pinkus and Say are two young boys caught in the middle of the Civil War. Every time I would read this story to my students, I would end up in tears. At the end of the book, you are realize you just read a true story - a truly compelling story of courage and friendship. The author is a descendant of Say.

I'm not going to say anything else about the book because I don't want to ruin it for you. Just do yourself a favor and go read this book - honor the memory of these courageous boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...