Wednesday, February 22, 2012

I Love.... C & O Lockhouse 6




Sigh....my favorite month is almost over. But, I still have some time to squeeze in a few more things during this Month of Love.

I wanted to share with you my new favorite Local Getaway. It's conveniently located a few miles from Georgetown in the tiny community of Cabin John. It was here that the family spent both the day before Christmas Eve and Christmas Eve. I'm in love.





Two years ago, I read an article in the Washington Post about the possibility of renting out a Lockhouse on the C&O Canal. I stored the information away for future use and added it to my Bucket List. When I was brainstorming fun places to spend Christmas Eve, I remembered the article.





We chose Lockhouse 6 because it is the only one with a working kitchen, bath and electricity. Unfortunately, on our first night the heating system stopped working. According to the Lockhouse Master, it was the first time that had happened in the two years the Lockhouse has been available to rent. 

Even though the house has two wonderful fireplaces, you are not permitted to start any fireplaces in them. The Lockhouse Master came over immediately after we called and brought sleeping bags. My sister arrived the next day and provided a space-heater, so we managed without the heating system.




The house is decorated to reflect the early 1950's when there was a push to save the C&O Canal. The house just oozes charm. Just be warned, the bathroom is located in the basement.






During our stay, it was easy to forget we were only a mere 20 minutes from our house. The house is located very close to the road but when you start walking on the Towpath, you are transported to a much slower-paced time.  I can't wait to return during the Spring!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...