Friday, January 11, 2013

For Brand-New Mamas...Postpartum Herbal Sitz Bath



One of my College Friends gave birth to her first child and I am gathering together some herbs to send to her. Daily sitz baths can be incredibly helpful when recovering from childbirth. I was paranoid about developing some awful infection and so I took mine religiously. No issues. I definitely swear by them.


Here are some herbs that can be included in a "Postpartum Herbal Sitz Bath"

  • Rosemary
  • Yarrow
  • Comfrey
  • Plantain Leaves
  • Calendula Flowers
  • Lavender
  • Uva Ursi
  • Violet Leaves and Flowers
  • Shepherd's Purse
  • Lemon Balm
  • Lady's Mantle
  • Burdock

Some people also add Sea Salt to the mix which sounds perfect for those aching muscles.

I've made different batches, depending on what I had available. But, I always make sure to include Comfrey and Calendula and either Rosemary or Yarrow.

In the next month or two, I'll start gathering together my stash in preparation for the arrival of our second daughter. I'll probably wait to add the Comfrey, Violet Leaves and Flowers and Plantain because my sister should have some growing in her yard by the end of April.

When it comes time to make the tea, fill a giant soup pot with water. Let the water come to a boil (which will take a LONG time) and then turn off the heat. Add herbs and cover with a lid. Let it sit for at least an hour (hopefully longer). Over-night is the best.

Strain (if you put herbs directly into the pot) or remove the sachet of herbs and refrigerate.

An easy way to make a DIY sachet is to use a worn but clean kitchen towel. Add several handfuls of herb onto the middle of the opened towel. Close towel tightly with a string or thin ribbon. When you drop it in the water, you won't have to deal with the hassle of straining out all the floating herbs.

To use...fill up 1/2 your sitz pan with the tea and the other 1/2 with warm water. Or put the tea directly into your spray bottle for use after every trip to the bathroom. I made several batches and used them for several weeks.

This is an easy and very helpful gift to any New Mamas in your life. Fill up a few Mason Jars with the herbs, add some ribbon and a note and let the healing begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...