Saturday, January 12, 2013

Herbs for a Cold, Cough and/or the Flu While Pregnant



Getting sick is never fun. It's especially not fun when you are pregnant. There is also the danger of contracting the flu while pregnant (which can cause some serious future side-effects for your fetus). I am taking my Elderberry Syrup religiously, but I know my immune system has been compromised due to over a year and a half of sleep deprivation.

It's frustrating because two of the herbs I ALWAYS use should be avoided (Yarrow and Thyme). I haven't really found an awesome resource for all the herbs you CAN use while pregnant, while trying to fight a cold or the flu. So, I have to come up with a list for myself. Here's what I have gleaned so far...


Herbs to Avoid

Yarrow
Thyme
Sage (sore throat)
Horehound
Wild Cherry Bark (cough)
Elecampane Root (cough)
Coltsfolt
Licorice

Herbs that are Okay

Ginger
Garlic
Elder Flowers (fever)
Elderberries (flu and colds)
Linden (when you feel a cold coming on)
Red Clover (chest complaints)
Slippery Elm (sore throat)
Mullein (sore throat, cough)
Chamomile (fever) - I can't use because I'm allergic to it
Echinacea
Onion Cough Syrup

Questionable
 
Boneset (raises body temperature to kill cold viruses)



Obviously, you want to get the okay from your Doctor or your Midwife, first. And, you may want to do your own research. But, hopefully, this will help you get a leg up. Take care, don't forget to wash those hands and good-luck staying healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...