Saturday, January 26, 2013

Important Things

English: Mr. Keller
English: Mr. Keller (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
In honor of the snow that fell yesterday in the D.C./NOVA/MD area, I thought I'd share one of Mattie's poems about snow. As I mentioned here, Mattie Stepanek is one of my heroes.

During his short 14 years (spent mostly in a wheel-chair), he wrote 6 poetry books and worked tirelessly on promoting World Peace and visibility for people with disabilities.

Former President Jimmy Carter spoke at Mattie's funeral and said these words,

We have known kings and queens, and we've known presidents and prime ministers, but the most extraordinary person whom I have ever known in my life is Mattie Stepanek. His life philosophy was 'Remember to play after every storm!' and his motto was: 'Think Gently, Speak Gently, Live Gently'. He wanted to be remembered as "a poet, a peacemaker, and a philosopher who played".

If you can, go out and play in the snow today and think of Mattie.

 
Important Things


When I grow up,
I think maybe
I will be a snowman,
Because when it
Snows outside,
I'll already be cold
And like it.
And children will
Play with me,
And laugh
And sing
And dance
All around me.
And those are important
Things to have happen
When you grow up.

-Mattie (December 1993) Age 3
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. Mattie was an amazing person, brave, wise and strong...like his mother. Learn more about the Mattie J. T. Stepanek Foundation at www.mattieonline.com or heartsongbooks@aol.com.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...