Tuesday, January 22, 2013

My Daughter's First Science Project

My parents gave me a Microgreens Kit for Christmas. I'm attempting to eat 6-8 servings of vegetables and fruit each day and instead of spending loads of money on organic greens in the Winter, I figured it would be more fun and cheaper to grow our own. I thought it would be a cool Science Project. I was right.

Nye-Nye LOVES to use a spray-bottle. For the first 5 days, you need to spray the seeds every 12 hours and keep them covered. My daughter may spray them a little bit more than necessary. But, her enthusiasm hasn't seem to hurt their growth. She gets so excited when we remove the cover to see how much her seeds have grown. It's pretty amazing.

After 5 days of darkness, you then uncover the tray and put it in sunlight for another 5 days. Typically, no more watering is necessary, although it is a good idea to check the growing pad every day just to be on the safe side. We are letting our first crop get a little bit bigger and forgot to water it after day 5. All the plants fell over on their side. They all mostly perked up after we watered the growing pad again.

Due to my child's love of spraying, we plan on starting another crop. We first grew Arugula and a Basic Salad Mix. Next up is a Spicy Salad Mix.

I set up the kit without my child around. She's not quite at the point of being able to help with carefully soaking the growing pads and evenly sprinkling a tablespoon or so of the seeds over the soaked growing pad. One of the most important things you need to do is check the ph level of your water and adjust the water accordingly. Set-up takes about 10 minutes. It takes less than 10 minutes a day to spray them twice. Talk about low maintenance.

It may seem expensive spending up to $20 on a pound of seeds but you are only using a tablespoon of seeds at a time. My kit is from The Sproutpeople and I have been very, very happy with it so far! It's such a cheerful act growing little plants in the Winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...