Monday, April 23, 2012

How About a Little Dandelion Cordial?




Sometimes you have to improvise. When, I found myself at my Mother's house helping her prepare for Easter and I spotted a lot of sunny Dandelions in her yard.

I knew they were safe to use (no chemicals had been sprayed on their yard and few dogs ever visit the property), so I pounced. And made some Dandelion Cordial.

I didn't have the time or energy to go to the liquor store. (I was busy helping my nephews make these...)




Usually, I use brandy to make a cordial, but all my Mother had on hand was rum. So, rum it was...



How to Make "Dandelion Cordial"...

1. Pick a slew of Dandelion Flowers (I made sure it was in the afternoon, so the dew had already dried).

2. Pick a glass jar and fill 1/3 of the jar with sugar (or less if you prefer).

3. Fill the jar almost up to the top with the Dandelion Flowers.

4. Add some sliced organic lemons (I only had access to bottled lemon juice, so that's what I added).

5. Fill to the top with your alcohol of choice (Like I said, I usually use brandy but this time I tried rum).

6. Shake.

7. Let sit for 2 weeks in a dark spot (shaking every day).

8. Pour your cordial (minus the flowers and lemon slices) into a pretty bottle.

9. Enjoy chilled with a slice of lemon or as a nice warm beverage with a little water and honey added to it (which hits the spot if you have a cold and have been having a coughing fit).




Why Dandelion? Dandelion contains loads of vitamins A, B, C and E and is full of phosphorus, calcium and magnesium. It's diuretic properties are very well-known. Some women make Dandelion Leaf Tea a few days before their period to help prevent water retention.


***A reminder….I’m not an MD, so have a chat with yours before taking any herbs or supplements. The info I am providing is for educational purposes only…Thank you! Hope this is helpful!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...