Wednesday, July 18, 2012

"Must Have" Plants in the Bedroom

Jasmine flower
Jasmine flower (Photo credit: snopek)
Sleep is a sore subject at our house. I am always open to learning more sleep-inducing tricks for our daughter. So, I was intrigued by this Apartment Therapy post.


"According to a study by the Wheeling Jesuit University, Jasmine has a positive effect on the quality of sleep one gets, decreasing anxiety and improving the attitude one has after waking up. The smell of Jasmine doesn't make you sleep more, instead it makes your sleep time count for more. I guess you could consider it 'high quality' sleep with less moving and disturbance. In addition, studying while smelling Jasmine increased alertness and performance on cognitive tests."


Less moving and disturbance? Sign my daughter up.

Lavender and Gardenia also appear to work as effectively as prescription sleeping pills. Most people have heard about the calming effects of Lavender, so no new news there. What is new news (at least for me) is how Jasmine out-performed Lavender in the WJU Study.

My father-in-law has a gorgeous Jasmine plant at his house. Luckily, Jasmine happens to be a a plant that propagates well through stem cuttings. I guess I have found my next garden project!
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...