Friday, March 22, 2013

Second Birthday Party Present: Sandpaper Letters












Did the Sandpaper Letters I made turn out perfectly? Nope. But, I think they are good enough. And, the best part? They didn't cost a cent. They ended up being one of my favorite presents to her this year.

My daughter has been showing some signs of being ready to learn her sound/letter combinations. She has demonstrating an interest in singing the alphabet since she was about 19 months old. One of her favorite things to do (over the last 2 months or so) is "write" in her journal (especially when she sees Mommy writing). She adores writing on her chalk-board. So, I decided to finally break down and start formally introducing her sound/letters.

I am trained as an Orton-Gillingham Tutor and worked for a bit in an AMI Montessori Pre-school as a Teacher Assistant. That's why I am doing the seemingly crazy thing of teaching my 2-year-old CURSIVE letters. More on all that jazz, later. A post will be coming (as well as a Letter of the Week Craft Series).

Right now, I just wanted to show you how my first batch of Sandpaper Letters turned out.

My Step-father cut out the 14 rectangles from a scrap of wood (I'll make the rest of the letters later). I sanded the edges and then glued on the letters I had cut (free-hand) from some belt-sander paper, he had in his shop. It's a lot harder than it looks and they are all pretty imperfect. It took about 5 hours from start to finish make these. But, I feel like it was time well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...