Wednesday, March 20, 2013

What if My Baby is Transverse or Breech Before 37 weeks?




When I was pregnant with Nye-Nye, I found out at 33 weeks that she was transverse. She had to be head-down by 36 weeks or then my Midwives would attempt to do an "External Cephalic Version" or ECV, which is an attempt to physically turn the baby head-down. Here is an interesting video on what happens during an ECV.

My Midwives' policy was that if the baby was still not in the optimal position after the ECV, then I would have had to transfer out of the practice.

I threw myself into helping my daughter turn. I tried acupuncture. I swam a lot. I went to a Chiropractor who was trained in the Webster Technique. I bought some moxibustion and did it daily on myself. And, I visited Spinning Babies and got numerous ideas for exercises that encourage your baby to spin into the optimal position.***

It was a lot of work but I was committed to having a Home Birth. Who knows what helped and what didn't. She may have decided to turn on her own. But, eventually, she turned and that's all that matter to me.

I wanted to share some different "strategies for encouraging a breech or transverse baby to turn" for any Pregnant Mamas out there. I know it can be stressful, especially when you don't have very much time to help encourage your baby to turn. Hope this is useful!


***(The link for moxibustion has some cool photos at the bottom of the page on how to do moxibustion on yourself...wish I had had those photos before. Spinning Babies also has some great ideas on how to prevent the dreaded back labor and what to do when labor stalls out at 6 cm. If you are pregnant, it is definitely worth checking out their website, even if your baby isn't breech).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...