Monday, April 8, 2013

My Post-Partum Physical Self-Care Check List





This is the Check-List my husband and I will be using to make sure I am taking care of myself during those first days and first weeks of recovery. It may seem like it's over-kill, but I had a very rough recovery after my first baby. I want to do everything I can to take care of myself and prevent any long-term issues.

It's a lot of tasks, but it seems less daunting when they are organized by the 5 B's....Belly, Bladder, Bottom, Breast and Bleeding. Got it? Okay, here goes...


Belly
  • Breathing exercises (spend 5 minutes a day doing Mindful Breathing Exercises)
  • Belly-binding on after each run to the bathroom begun after 24 hours
  • Either an Oil Massage or Belly Herbal Paste put on after each bathroom run
  • Crampbark and Motherwort tincture for after-birth cramping pains (supposedly after-birth pains are much, much more noticeable and painful your second Birth)
  • Heated Rice Pack on Belly when needed
  • Gentle Ab work-out beginning at day 3
  • Post-Partum Full Body Massage at day 3 or 4 (these were the worst two days for me...pain-wise and as well as emotionally, so a Massage is a MUST on one of these days)
  • Mother Roasting with moxibustion at day 4 or 5

Bladder

  • Go to the bathroom regularly (after each time I nurse...I need to drink a glass of water or Herbal Tea and ask myself if I have to pee)
  • Peri Bottle full of Herbal Tea spritzed every time I go to the Bathroom
  • Kegels

Bottom

  • Senna Tea
  • Herbal Sitz Bath several times a day
  • Sitting on a donut pillow
  • Using witch hazel pads pressed against my perineum when making a bowel movement
  • Homepathic Arnica pills every few hours for 1st several days to help with perineal pain (still skeptical about how helpful they can be, but it's worth a try)

Breast

  • Drink 1 glass of water or Red Raspberry Leaf  with Nettle and Comfrey (for help with swelling and/ or tears) every time I nurse
  • Drink Milk Makin Tea, if supply is low (I had the opposite issue the last time, so I doubt this will be a problem...but it's better to be prepared)
  • Milk Makin Cookies
  • Warm Shower when engorged
  • Cabbage leaves in bra when engorged
  • Healing Nipple Salve (Comfrey Root, Yarrow Leaf, Calendula Flower, Elder Flower)
  • Breastfeeding Center for Greater Washington Phone # Ready (for home Lactation Consultant visit, if necessary)
  • Breastfeeding Made Simple on my book-shelf

Bleeding

  • Super Absorbent Maxi Pads
  • Rule about number of Steps (going up or down steps once on Day 1, twice on Day 2, three times on Day 3, etc...)
  • Pay attention to the amount I'm bleeding
  • Call Midwife if flow is increasing rather than decreasing, I have a temperature of 100 degrees, the smell is off, or I am passing clots bigger than a golf-ball
  • Shepherd's Purse Tincture to help slow bleeding
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. Awesome list, thank you SO much for sharing! I'm 33 wks pregnant and in the process of planning my postpartum, very useful tips!

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...