Sunday, August 4, 2013

This is the Mobile that Killed a Baby Bird

 
 
Give me a minute and it will make sense. I promise.
 
Some ideas just don't work. I spent a lot of time and energy trying to make a beautiful "Driftwood Mobile" for Bright Eyes before she was born.
 
We rent our two-Bedroom house. When we moved in this Winter, we knew the girls wouldn't be able to share a Bedroom right off the bat. So one room would be for Nye-Nye (a "Can You See a Little Bear?" Inspired Bedroom). The other would be for the new baby.
 
Nye-Nye was still waking up several times a night in February. That's when Papa Bear took over putting her to sleep and co-sleeping. For the last 2 1/2 glorious months of my pregnancy I slept like a champ. It was amazing.
 
Daddy and His Girl bonded more deeply by developing their own sweet Bedtime Rituals and I wasn't disturbed by the toddler waking up at night. 
 
The Master Bedroom was transformed into Mommy and the Baby's Room. I didn't have the energy to paint the room, so blue it stayed. I was inspired by tree branches and driftwood and agonized over fabric for weeks. (Nesting...you gotta love it).
 
I wanted to use the heirloom cradle that I used as a baby.
 
I came up with a design for a Driftwood Mobile that could hang low enough over a cradle. Hanging the pieces from the ceiling seemed too complicated for me, so I devised an inexpensive way to anchor the pieces of Driftwood in a metal bucket. My solution? Plaster.
 
I filled an inexpensive bucket with plaster and arranged the branches the way I wanted. I let it set over night. I covered the bucket with some of the agonized-over-fabric. And hung the butterflies with fishing line.
 
The only problem?
 
It took up A LOT of room.
 
Actually, there were three problems...it took up a lot of room, it was difficult to get the baby into the cradle without hitting her face with the butterflies and the baby HATED the cradle.
 
So, it was removed.
 
I put it outside under our screened-in porch, thinking I could use it for Bright Eyes when we were outside.
 
I walked out one day to find a drowned Baby Bird floating in the bucket. 
 
Do you know how awful I felt?
 
I still get teary-eyed thinking about it. Poor Baby Bird.
 
Talk about a doomed project.
 
 

 
 
 


 
 
 
 

 



 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...