Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Gift Idea: Family Ornament Book

(My Mama's Tree in the Background)

Have I mentioned I need books like I need air? I am passionate about reading them and I am passionate about making them. During my four years at Mount Holyoke, I spent many hours in the printmaking studio using the printing press. I love the feel of paper in my hands. When I was at MICA taking some graduate classes, I had a tremendous amount of fun in my book-making class. While teaching in the classroom, I always tried to incorporate a little bit of paper-making madness into my lesson plans. So, it shouldn't come as a surprise that I often make books as presents.

Here's another idea that just popped into my head a few days ago...


 
Who would like this gift? A great present to an adult child or grandchild.

What are you giving? A book of photos of all your sentimental tree ornaments. Each photo is paired with an explanation of where you got your ornament, who gave it to you, etc...

When? Could be a last minute present, it depends where you make your book.

Where? I've been happy with the books I've made with Blurb. You could also use a three ring binder and make your own.

Why is it a great gift? Every year my mother tells my sister and I where she got each ornament. I remember some of them but it's impossible to remember the significance of each and every one. If your family tree is full of lots of home-made ornaments this is something that might resonate with your family. This book could become of the your Christmas tradition and would make a wonderful heirloom.

My experience? None. I told my mother about my idea and she loved it. When she takes down her tree this year, she's going to take photos of all the ornaments and we're going to make a book together.



What ornaments would you include in your family's book?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...