Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Soup Series: Butternut Squash - Apple Soup

We just finished the last of the Butternut Squash - Apple Soup, I made in the slow cooker a few days ago. It took less than 10 minutes and was enjoyed by all. Even my Mother-in-law asked for seconds and she doesn't eat much non-Indian food. My husband liked the sweetest of it. The baby devoured it. I thought it wasn't the best soup I ever made but it sure was one of the easiest. 

I bought already peeled and chopped butternut squash from Trader Joe's, so that helped. The following recipe is from Slow Cooker Magic in Minutes...Enjoy!!!


  • 3 packages (12 oz) frozen cooked winter squash (I used one bag of fresh uncooked squash from Trader Joe's)
  • 2 cans (15 oz each) chicken broth (I made my own vegetable broth)
  • 1 medium Golden Delicious apple, peeled, cored and chopped
  • 2 tablespoons minced onions
  • 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon minced fresh sage or 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
1. Combine all ingredients except cream in slow cooker. Cover; cook on HIGH for about 3 hours or on LOW about 6 hours.

2. Puree soup in blender, food processor or with electric mixer. (I used a blender after the soup was cool and added the cream in before blending). Stir in cream just before eating.

Nothing like soup on a brisk Winter day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...