Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Day of the Dead





Picnics, dancing, flowers, incense, making altars, family, graveyards....I have never been to an actual Day of the Dead celebration but have always been intrigued by them. Part of my fascination is rooted in my family's strong sense of history and part of it goes back to many hours I spent as a child exploring and playing in my church's graveyard. I have heard countless stories of my deceased relatives going back several generations; honoring ones ancestors and their memories seems very natural to me. Spending the night camped out at the family plot doesn't strike me as too morbid, especially if there is good food and dancing involved. I wasn't able to make it out to the private cemetery on our family farm, instead the baby and I celebrated today by walking through an old graveyard in Old Town.










2 comments:

  1. I think for our next trip to Mexico, we'll try to time it for a Day of the Dead celebration. I love all of the colorful festivities that go with it. Thanks for your visit to our blog - we finally feel like our tiny house is coming together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a wonderful plan! You have a great eye for photography...so I'm sure the photos from that trip will be stunning. Good-luck on the finishing up the outside kitchen!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...