Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Wellness Wednesdays: Tension and Trauma Releasing Exercises (TRE)

I feel that books find you. Frequently, I have been given a book or owned one and never read it. Then suddenly one day, my gaze falls upon the book and I know it's time to read it. And then the previously ignored book blows my mind.

Two years ago, this book jumped out at me when I hanging out at Breathe Books after an acupuncture session at Metta Wellness Center. I took it home, read it and started doing the exercises. It made absolute sense to me.

The idea behind the book is when one experiences stress or trauma, one's body creates a record of the event. Tension and Trauma Releasing Exercises (TRE) provoke your body's natural desire to shake after experiencing stress and release the tension felt within your muscles. Dr. Berceli designed these exercises after having worked for years with refugees and now spends his life traveling abroad to teach organizations how to assist people in recovering from trauma.

Not all of us have experienced trauma but we all deal with stress and anxiety on a daily basis. TRE helps create a sense of calmness and relaxation. Who could argue with a little more calmness in their lives?

I still remember a few of the exercises and try to do them when I'm feeling stressed or upset. But, I think it's time for me to buy the video and re-incorporate all these exercises back into my life. I can't wait to see how I feel once TRE becomes part of my routine again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...