Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Review of Storytime at BARRETT BRANCH of Alexandria Public Library



My daughter and I got kicked out of storytime. Technically, we were asked to not come back until her first birthday. I guess it was my fault for trying to sneak her in to a storytime for 1-2 year-olds. But I was desperate for something free to do with her and my daughter looks older than her age. Now, I found Super Nova Mommy and don't have that excuse (lots of free events listed on her blog).

Before Halloween, we went one Wednesday to the 10:30 am storytime at the Barrett Branch of the Alexandria Public Library. The room was very, very crowded (hence the strict rules about age). Once the librarian began, I understood why.

The librarian has amazing energy. She makes an effort to remember all the children's names and is talented at engaging both babes and adults alike. Plus, she's passionate about books. A lady after my own heart.

We sang lots of seasonal songs, most of whom I didn't recognize. She didn't have the greatest singing voice and made you feel okay if you didn't either. I haven't sang "The Wheels on the Bus" in ages and I'm so glad she reminded me how much I love that song. Puppets, songs and tons of smiles....the 45 minutes flew by! I am so glad we went, especially since we won't be coming back for another 4 months or so.

I had a great chat with the librarian afterwards. She pointed out that between the ages of 6 months to 1 year the best kind of books are the ones with photos (forget the illustrations for now). She also told me that books of babies' faces are guaranteed to make my daughter happy (very, very true).

She mentioned that she is trying to start this winter an afternoon group for babies under the age of 1. I'm crossing my fingers, hoping she is successful!

If you live in the area, go check it out for yourself and make sure you actually check out a book for yourself and a book for your babe.

Just Remember...

1. Get there early.
2. Don't forget to sign-up at the desk in the Children's Section.
3. Make sure your kid is between the ages of 1 and 2.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...