Thursday, November 10, 2011

Thumbs Up Thursdays: My Favorite Meditation Book

There are books you finish, say "that was nice" and then you forget about them. Then there are books that you read once, twice...over and over again because you need them in your life. Learning to Dance Inside: Getting To the Heart of Meditation is one of those kind of books for me.

I bought my first copy here at Red Emma's. It was probably 5 or 6 years ago and I still can't get this book out of my head. I think it may be time to re-read it again.

It is the first book I've ever read on meditation where the author doesn't try and teach you how to "quiet" your mind, rather he guides you through actively using your mind to come to a place of Contemplation and Bliss. He doesn't focus on techniques and mantras but helps explain what it feels like to finally "Get It."

He wrote this book to help others not spend two decades (like he did) struggling to learn how to meditate. I am a big fan of some of those crazy Christian mystics, so I am happy that he discusses some of them in the book. Love, love, love this book.

Plus, the author's personal story is pretty amazing. George Fowler spent almost 20 years in a Trappist monastery, much of the time in silence. He left the monastery and married a nun. When I first read the book, I kept trying to find out more info on him (hoping that he might still be lecturing, etc...) but I just read on Amazon that he died in 2000. I'm sad. He's seems like the kind of person, I'd love to have over for dinner. But, he lives on in this book. If you are interested in meditation, go check this book out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...